mental health First aid
Mental health challenges – such as depression, anxiety, psychosis, and substance use – are shockingly common in the United States. In fact, more than one in five American adults will have a mental health problem in any given year. The National Council for Behavioral Health certifies individuals throughout the nation, including the Filipino Mental Health Initiative of San Francisco, to provide Mental Health First Aid courses to prepare their communities with the knowledge and skills to help individuals who are developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Identified on SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices, the training helps the public better identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses.
Similar to 'First Aid' and CPR, 'Mental Health First Aid' teaches individuals to help those experiencing mental health challenges or crises. Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. This training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
THREE LEARNING OPTIONS
• Virtual*: First Aiders will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online class, and then participate in a 5.5-hour, Instructor-led video conference.
• Blended Learning: After completing a 2-hour, self-paced class, First Aiders will participate in a 4-hour, in-person, Instructor-led class.
• In-person: First Aiders will receive their training as an 8-hour, Instructor-led, in person course.
*UPDATED: 1/1/2021: We are only offering virtual Adult Mental Health First Aid trainings via Zoom until further notice.
WHAT IT COVERS
• Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
• Common signs and symptoms of substance use
• How to interact with a person in crisis
• How to connect the person with help
• NEW: Expanded content on trauma, addiction and self-care
The Filipino Mental Health Initiative of San Francisco offers in-house and private Adult Mental Health First Aid Training for the San Francisco Filipinx/a/o and Filipinx/a/o American community. The Adult Mental Health First Aid Training is tailored for community members who work, live, and support adults ages 18 years and older.
PROMO MATERIALS (Downloadable)
FMHI-SF Mental Health First Aid Training Flyer | About
FMHI-SF Mental Health First Aid Training Flyer | Outreach
Are you interested in bringing a private Adult Mental Health First Aid Training to your organization that predominately serves the Filipinx/Filipinx American community in San Francisco? Complete the "Mental Health First Aid Training Inquiry" Form below to learn how to bring this training to your site. For other related questions, contact Verma at email@example.com.
On average, 123 people die by suicide each day. – American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
From 1999 to 2016, 630,000 people died from drug overdose. – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Nearly 1 IN 5 U.S. adults lives with a Mental Illness. – National Institute of Mental Health via the National Survey on Drug Use and Health and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
• Assess for risk of suicide or harm.
• Listen non-judgmentally.
• Give reassurance and information.
• Encourage appropriate professional help.
• Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
Share these infographics with your networks to spread information on the mental health challenges different communities are facing and how you can #BeTheDifference by supporting a person experiencing a mental health or substance use challenge. Learn more at www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org.